Monday, April 24, 2006

nice start

Today's reception was amazing, especially the circus acrobatics. It is just beyond what i can say so many words (Totally moved by the french music. After I go back to Irvine, I could also post some pictures). The food was great too. After a glass of wine, I was very relaxed, walking around, meeting some friends, seeing some familiar faces, having a palm reader telling my fortune - I have a lot of fun. I think they put posters in this reception event might not be a very good idea - too relaxed to be able to engage in those(It is strange that I do not remember how last year's reception go. )

I was also impressed by Joseph 'Hofish' Kaye and Jenet Vertesi' talk today. I was trying to figure out why. Is it because of the content? Because of the topic? Because of the way of presenting? Or because of their personality? I think the last one might be the most important! Just like what Scott Cook was told by his "loving wife" about how to present in this year's opening plenary session, "don't be charming, don't be smart, just be yourself!" Exactly, i think the reason why their presentation was so engaging is because they were totally themselves on the stage, the same feeling I got from Stewart hosting this year's oscar. It is so simple to say, but so hard to do! (thinking of staying in front of hundreds of people delivering a 15 to 20 minutes talk. Not everyone can do it well.) I think giving a presentation is hard enough already, the even harder one is the question answering part . Today, I just experienced such a presentation. I thought the presentation was good, the visualization was beautiful and intriguing. However, at the end of the presentation, somebody stood up and began with "I was troubled by the presentation...", and continued with "What did you learn from the project"... Can't not image how I would respond if the presenter was me, but the presenter took it very well!

I took many pictures and videos today. post them later...